Divorce and Family Law -- Domestic Violence

Always call the police in the event of an emergency. Temporary Restraining Orders (TROs) may be entered by a Superior Court or Municipal Court Judge. Final Restraining Orders (FROs) are only entered following a hearing in the Superior Court. Spouses, former spouses, domestic partners, couples who have children together, people who presently or formerly lived together and people who have a dating relationship may be eligible for such protections. It is important for victims and defendants to understand his or her rights. In addition there may be Municipal Court or Superior Court charges as a result of a private citizen's complaint or a mandatory arrest by the police separate and apart from the domestic violence case. Following the entry of a Final Restraining Order, the victim may be awarded the payment of counsel fees.